A former welding site in Elmont will soon undergo treatment to remove toxic chemicals in its soil, according to the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC).
Following nearly 16 years of DEC assessments and investigations, the state agency discovered primary contaminants of concern which include polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs), cadmium and lead — each at unknown levels — in the ground at 546 Hempstead Turnpike.
The Former Elmont Welding property was originally used as an automobile garage as early as 1925. Past use of the building included an auto repair shop in the 1950s and 1960s. From the 1970s to 2006, the site was used as a welding shop, and the adjacent lot was used as a parking area for construction equipment.
The site is currently vacant and fenced off, restricting public access. However, anyone entering the site could contact contaminants in the soil by walking on the site, digging or otherwise disturbing the soil.
For more information on this environmental cleanup, please click the link above/below or visit Elmont Memorial Public Library.