Deadly Dine & Dash: Police Say a Brooklyn Man Is Dead After Fleeing a Bill at Applebee’s in Elmont

ELMONT (March 3, 2016) — Marlon S. Paton, 20, died after having what police called a “medical emergency,” following a foot chase through backyards on Fieldmere Avenue. After complaining of fatigue and telling the police he was ill, Paton was transported to Franklin Hospital in Valley Stream where he was pronounced dead at 10:47 a.m. on March 2. The time of death came nearly twelve hours after he and six other individuals failed to pay their $229.22 bill at an Applebees at 1710 Hempstead Turnpike in Elmont and attempted to evade police, officials said. The cause of Paton’s death has not been released. (Steve Smirti, Long Island Herald)

Source: News 12 Long Island

ELMONT (March 3, 2016) — Nassau police have released video surveillance of a police chase that left one man dead from a medical emergency while in custody.

Police say a manager at the Applebee’s on Hempstead Turnpike in Elmont told officers that a group, including three men in a gold Chevrolet Malibu, allegedly left without paying their bill early Wednesday morning.  According to court records, the bill was $229 and a total of seven people ran out the front and emergency exit doors before paying the bill.

Authorities caught up with the car after it collided with a guardrail at a nearby Shell gas station. Police say the people inside the vehicle fled the scene on foot.

After a brief chase, police arrested 20-year-old Marlon Paton, of Brooklyn, and two other people. They caught Paton on Fieldmere Street, and he reportedly told police he wasn’t feeling well.

Police say Paton appeared lethargic and disoriented, indicating that he was in medical distress.

Paton was transported to Franklin General Hospital in Valley Stream for evaluation and treatment, and was pronounced dead at 10:47 a.m., about 10 hours after his arrest. Detectives say Paton was taken to the hospital right at the time of his arrest because he was visibly ill after running and trying to jump a fence.

Police say they did not use force when arresting Paton, and that they let him sit in the back of a squad car until an ambulance arrived.

Police also arrested 20-year-old Kristofer Pettway, of Elmont, on Warwick Road, and 21-year-old Marquis Bernard, of Brooklyn, after police say he ignored officers, resisted arrest and attempted to jump over a fence.

Pettway lives on Fieldmere Street, near where police arrested Paton.

Pettway and Bernard have been charged with theft of services. Bernard has also been charged with resisting arrest.

Both defendants were charged today at First District Court. Pettway was released without having to post bail.

Source: News 12 Long Island

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: